Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Yoga Books: The Tree of Yoga by B. K. S. Iyengar

Title: The Tree of Yoga
Published: Harper Thorsons, 2013 (First published 1988)


Synopsis: Iyengar developed a form of yoga that focuses on developing strength, endurance, correct body alignment, as well as flexibility and relaxation. The Iyengar method integrates philosophy, spirituality, and the practice of yoga into everyday living. In The Tree of Yoga, Iyengar offers his thoughts on many practical and philosophical subjects including family life, love and sexuality, health and the healing arts, meditation, death, and Patañjali's Yoga Sutras.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: After reading Light on Yoga, I decided that my next book should be another of Iyengar's. This time it's The Tree of Yoga. Light on Yoga is more about the poses and how to do them correctly and The Tree of Yoga is a collection of Iyengar's teachings on how to incorporate Yoga into every day life.

There are so many short little chapters that have so much information that I had to take the time to read a little bit and then let the information sink in. I like this approach when 'studying' Yoga books so this was good. I did find that the content of the book wasn't too heavy so it was a pretty straightforward read.

Iyengar provides insight into a lot of different areas including an explanation of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. I haven't read that text yet but it will probably be something I get to soon. That being said, I felt as though I didn't necessarily need to have read the text to understand what was being said. I actually found it to be a really good summary of some of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras so am more interested in picking them up than I was before.

I definitely think that The Tree of Yoga is a good resource about incorporating Yoga into every day life. It goes into the philosophy behind Yoga and gives advice from the perspective of someone who actively lives a Yogic lifestyle in every aspect. Iyengar has so much to say about Yoga that I will be continuing my journey by reading more from him soon.

Where to purchase the book:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!